Here are some Tips you can use to REDUCE YOUR ENERGY BILL AND SAVE MONEY!!!
- Turn down your thermostat to 68° or lower. For every degree you lower your heat in the 60°-70° range, you’ll save up to 5% on heating costs.
- Set the thermostat back to 55° when leaving home for an extended time. Please note that heat pumps should only be set back 2° to prevent unneeded use of backup strip heating, which carries higher costs.
- Check air filters. Dirty air filters increase your energy usage and can also damage your heating. Be sure to use filters approved for your specific system.
- Caulk around windows and replace old weather stripping around doors to keep the cold air out.
- Reduce col-air drafts around windows – typically seen in older homes-by using heavy-duty, clear plastic sheets or tape clear plastic film inside your windows. Ensure the plastic is sealed tightly to reduce cold-air drafts.
- Close your fireplace damper when not in use.
- Schedule service for your heating system, and ask what maintenance is required to keep it running optimally. Keep up with maintenance milestones.
- Open curtains on your south-facing windows on sunny days to naturally heat your home with sunlight. Close the curtains at night to reduce any chill or drafts.
You can find additional energy-saving suggestions by visiting TVA’s Energy Right Solutions website.